H. T. Hamblin - Biographical Timeline

A brief biographical timeline of the life events in the life of Henry Thomas Hamblin, affectionately called the "Saint of Sussex"


Henry Thomas Hamblin born at Walworth, London 1873. Moved to Brockley, South East London.


Started school.


Leaves school.


Attended Technical Institute.


Obtained employment as an improver.

1891 - 1895

Lived away from home: various jobs of a manual nature.


The mystical experience of the Divine Presence brings a deep peace.


After teaching himself opthalmics in the small hours, qualified as an optician and set up first business.


Contracted typhoid fever.


Married Eva Elizabeth Harvey. Moved to East Anglia and then back to London. First son Herbert Wilson Hamblin born.


First came across publications described as "New Thought". Acquired several businesses all working with insufficient capital and relying on credit and good will. Second son born, Dickie, born. Moved to Sussex-Hampshire border for a short time Moved back to London.

May 1909

Mother died.


Poor health - sold successful business in London.


Leased shop in the West End where he became a an extremely successful businessman. The business was called Theodore Hamblin.


Experience of "oneness" where he knew himself to be a child of the Eternal.


Third child, Joan, born. (At the age of 92, Joan continues to take an active interest in her father's work and is a gifted artist.)


HTH buys his first car and learns to drive.


Feelings of despair, helplessness, plagued by nightmares and nervous disorder. Constant conflict: the man of business -v- the country lover and mystic. Business threatening to overtake him. A victim of his own ambition.


Retires from day-to-day business, acts as chairman of his three limited companies attending periodic meetings.

May 1914

Moves to Bosham - takes up a fourteen year lease on what is now known as Kenwood B&B. Joined volunteer training corps at Portsmouth and became a trained instructor.


Applied to join the Army - initially rejected but re-applied at a later date and accepted for Mechanical Transport.


Discharged from the Army. Received commission in the Royal Flying Corps.


Second son, Richard Harvey Hamblin, dies on 16th Wedding Anniversary, aged 10 years. Discharged from RAF because of ill health.


Became vegetarian and severed connections with business completely. Began to write chapters which would eventually become "Message of a Flower".

April 1920

Purchased an Army Hut which was erected in the grounds of Bosham House. This was to serve as an office for HTH and a secretary. Over a period of years, extensions were added. HTH wrote his first three books: "Within you is the Power", "The Power of Thought" and compilation of articles which became "Message of a Flower".

Summer 1920:

Under the umbrella of The Science of Thought Institute HTH wrote a Course of Lessons on matters spiritual. These were advertised and there was a massive response. Lessons adapted to make them simpler. Eventually all these lessons were burned in the grounds as being "not spiritual enough". HTH wrote a new series of Courses of some twenty seven lessons.


Science of Thought Review magazine first published. After HTH's death this became "The Review" and then "New Vision".


Purchased four-and-a-half acres of meadow next door to Kenwood. General Strike: HTH provides casual visitors with new boots,clothing and money.


Completed the building of the offices in the grounds of what is now Bosham House.


HTH starts to build Bosham House. Fathers dies this year.


Moved into Bosham House, constructed drive, planted trees,shrubs etc.


World War II breaks out. HTH feels that forces of darkness were attacking spiritual work and therefore the continuance of his work was imperative. HTH and his wife became fire watchers and air raid wardens at Bosham House. Many bombs dropped but the house was spared.


Almost as many men on the road as before the War. These included murderers, ex-convicts and confidence tricksters. HTH provides simple meals, money for the road.


HT Hamblin dies at Chichester hospital, aged 85.